So you want to travel the world, but don’t want to gain a bazillion pounds while doing it huh? Unfortunately, food automatically becomes more enjoyable when you’re eating something whilst in a pleasurable experience, i.e. traveling the world. Trust me, pizza in Italy was far more enjoyable than anything my Italian family made and their pizzas are pretty dang good! Sorry, I mentioned pizza…. I combined a list of some of my favorite healthy travel snacks I take with me during any given time.
Healthy Travel Snacks For Mornings
The early bird gets the worm, so when you’re strapped for time grab and go snacks are ideal. Some healthy travel snack ideas include:
- Fresh fruit – any fruit that has a harder surface and is shelf-stable. Apples are a great option!
- Nuts – hello almonds!
- Bars – prepackaged protein, fruit/nut, granola bars are quick and can be packed anywhere among your travel items. For this item, please read the label! A lot of bars are packed full of sugars.
- Dried fruit – a lot of grocery and convenience stores in different countries carry dried fruit, but also watch the sugar content in this one as well.
Healthy Travel Snacks For Afternoons
Afternoon snacks are everything! Afternoons are typically when I’m traveling from country to country and need a little something to tie me over until I can grab lunch. Some of my favorite healthy travel snacks include:
- Pretzels – put them in a small container, so they don’t get smashed.
- Protein powder – travel with a shaker bottle and just add water when you need a pick me up
- Sunflower seeds – they might not fill you up, but they’re a great way to pass the time
- Trail mix – make your own. I can’t stress this one enough! You can decide what you put in it and you know exactly what’s going into it. Pretzels, peanuts, popcorn and shelled pistachios are awesome together! Here are some more healthy trail mix recipes.
Healthy Travel Snacks For Evenings
Sometimes an adequate dinner isn’t available when your in the middle of your travels, so here are some healthy travel snacks that can make the trip a little better:
- Jerky – it comes in many different flavors, so you’ll never get bored. Watch the salt content on this one though!
- Fresh veggies – carrots are awesome when you’re traveling for less than a day.
- Crackers – this option is a hit or a miss, but I like to include it, because most countries have a healthy cracker option. Note: don’t eat the whole box in one sitting!
- Dark chocolate – 80%+ cocoa is where it’s at! Pack a square for the road… you deserve it!
These are just some of my favorite healthy travel snacks that you can find almost anywhere during your travels. Of course, each country has their own healthy snack options, so don’t be afraid of trying new things and experimenting along the way. If you’ve traveled around the world and have packed healthy travel snacks for your travels, I would love to hear what you bring along. Feel free to share in a comment below! Safe and healthy travels!